As we head toward the eighth week of the 2023 high school football season, you can see things starting to take shape.
With state playoff positions at stake, each week uncovers new matchups that determine what teams will advance and which ones will look toward next year.
Over the next few weeks, there will be key district and regional games that will be worth checking out in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties.
Here is how Week 8 shapes up:
1. Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna (1M, 7-0). LAST WEEK: The Lions rolled over Fort Lauderdale Dillard, THIS WEEK: Off this week. NEXT WEEK: A home district game against Hollywood Avant Garde Academy.
2. Miami Central (2M, 3-2). LAST WEEK: The Rockets won their annual rivalry with Miami Northwestern, 17-10. THIS WEEK: A huge district matchup at No. 4 Miami Norland. NEXT WEEK: Miami Southridge, 10/19 (Traz).
3. Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas (3M, 6-1). LAST WEEK: The Raiders remained hot as they beat Lauderdale Lakes Boyd Anderson, 58-0. THIS WEEK: An away district game against Fort Lauderdale. NEXT WEEK: An away contest at No. 12 Monarch.
4. Miami Norland (2M, 6-0). LAST WEEK: The Vikings came from behind to beat a very strong Miami Booker T. Washington, 20-19. THIS WEEK: A huge district contest against No. 2 Miami Central. NEXT WEEK: GMAC Week.
5. Homestead (3M, 4-1). LAST WEEK: A convincing Saturday night win against No. 6 Miami Christopher Columbus, 32-16. THIS WEEK: A key home district game against No. 14 Miami Southridge. NEXT WEEK: Miami Christopher Columbus, 10/20 (Traz).
6. Miami Christopher Columbus (4M, 6-1). LAST WEEK: The Explorers lost for the first time this season, 32-16, against No. 5 Homestead. THIS WEEK: A home game against Doral Academy. NEXT WEEK: Miami Norland, 10/20 (Traz).
7. Plantation American Heritage (2M, 4-1). LAST WEEK: The Patriots remained hot with a 28-14 road win at No. 17 Davie Western. THIS WEEK: A home game against Fort Lauderdale Stranahan. NEXT WEEK: A home game against Naples.
8. Miami Palmetto (4M, 6-1). LAST WEEK: The Panthers continued to roll along with a 13-0 win against Miami Edison. THIS WEEK: A home district game against Homestead South Dade. NEXT WEEK: Dr. Krop, 10/19 (Tropical).
9. Miami Booker T. Washington (2M, 3-2). LAST WEEK: The Tornadoes lost a tough contest to No. 4 Miami Norland, 20-19. THIS WEEK: A key district contest against Miami Northwestern. NEXT WEEK: A makeup Oct. 16 game and South Dade, 10/19 (Harris).
10. Coconut Creek (3M, 5-2). LAST WEEK: The Cougars got back in the win column with a 41-0 victory against Fort Lauderdale. THIS WEEK: A district home game against West Boca Raton. NEXT WEEK: An away game at Hollywood McArthur.
11. Plantation (3M, 5-1). LAST WEEK: The Colonels beat Davie Nova, 34-6. THIS WEEK: A competitive road game against Fort Lauderdale Dillard. NEXT WEEK: An away contest against Deerfield Beach.
12. Coconut Creek Monarch (4M, 6-1). LAST WEEK: The Knights got by Hollywood McArthur, 28-7. THIS WEEK: Bye.
NEXT WEEK: A home game against No. 3 Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas.
13. Pompano Beach Blanche Ely (3M, 5-1). LAST WEEK: The Tigers beat Fort Lauderdale Stranahan, 38-24. THIS WEEK: A home game against Deerfield Beach. NEXT WEEK: A Saturday night home game against Sunrise Piper.
14. Miami Southridge (3M, 5-1). LAST WEEK: The Spartans continued to roll with a road win against St. Petersburg Lakewood, 24-7. THIS WEEK: A major away district matchup with No. 5 Homestead. NEXT WEEK: Miami Central, 10/19 (Traz).
15. Weston Cypress Bay (4M, 6-1). LAST WEEK: The Lightning won for the fifth straight time, 43-3, over Coral Springs Taravella, 43-3. THIS WEEK: A big district matchup against No. 17 Davie Western. NEXT WEEK: A Thursday night away game against Cooper City.
16. Fort Lauderdale Cardinal Gibbons (2M, 4-2). LAST WEEK: The Chiefs got back on the winning track with a 43-28 victory at Miami Belen Jesuit. THIS WEEK: A home district game against Hallandale next Thursday. NEXT WEEK: A road game against Boca Raton.
17. Davie Western (4M, 3-2). LAST WEEK: Posted a second straight shutout with a 49-0 win against Sunrise Piper. THIS WEEK: A big non district home matchup with No. 7 Plantation American Heritage. NEXT WEEK: The annual district battle on the road against No. 18 Weston Cypress Bay.
18. Pembroke Pines West Broward (4M, 4-2). LAST WEEK: Jumped into the Top 20 with a 34-26 win against No. 19 South Broward. THIS WEEK: An away game at Naples Gulf Coast. NEXT WEEK: An away contest at Pembroke Pines Flanagan.
19. Hollywood South Broward (3M, 5-1). LAST WEEK: Lost for the first time this year to No. 18 Pembroke Pines West Broward. THIS WEEK: A Thursday away contest at Parkland Douglas. NEXT WEEK: A Thursday home game against Hollywood McArthur.
20. Miami True North Classical Academy (1M, 6-0). LAST WEEK: Won for the sixth time this season, 34-15, against Miami St. Brendan. THIS WEEK: Perhaps the biggest regular season game in the short history of the school at Tropical Park against unbeaten 2S powerhouse Starke Bradford County. NEXT WEEK: A home game against West Palm Beach The King’s Academy.
OTHER TEAMS TO WATCH: Coconut Creek North Broward Prep (2M, 2-4), Cooper City (4M, 0-6), Coral Gables (4M, 3-3), Coral Springs (4M, 3-3), Coral Springs Coral Glades (4M, 0-6), Coral Springs Taravella (4M, 1-6), Davie Nova (3M, 2-5), Deerfield Beach (3M, 2-4), Doral Academy (4M, 4-2), Doral Reagan (Independent, 3-2-1), Fort Lauderdale (3M, 1-4), Fort Lauderdale Calvary Christian (2M, 5-2), Lauderdale Dillard (3M, 3-3), Fort Lauderdale NSU University School (Independent, 6-0), Fort Lauderdale Pine Crest (2M, 1-6), Fort Lauderdale Stranahan (2M, 3-3), Fort Lauderdale Westminster Academy (Independent, 6-0), Hallandale (2M, 0-6), Goulds Palm Glades (1M, 0-7), Hialeah (3M, 5-1), Hialeah American (2M, 4-2), Hialeah Gardens (Independent, 1-4-1), Hialeah Gardens Mater Academy (3M, 0-5), Hialeah Miami-Lakes (Independent, 0-6), Hollywood Avant Garde (1M, 5-2), Hollywood Hills (3M, 2-3), Hollywood McArthur (3M, 2-3-1), Homestead Everglades Prep (1M, 2-3), Homestead South Dade (4M, 5-1), Lauderdale Lakes Boyd Anderson (3M, 0-5), Miami Archbishop Carroll (1M, 5-1), Miami Beach (3M, 0-6), Miami Belen Jesuit (3M, 3-4), Miami Braddock (Independent, 5-1), Miami BridgePrep Academy (1M, 1-3), Miami Carol City (2M, 1-5), Miami Coral Park (Independent, 1-5), Miami Coral Reef (GMAC Independent, 4-2), Miami Country Day (Independent, 2-2), Miami Dr. Krop (3M, 3-3), Miami Edison (2M, 4-2), Miami Ferguson (Independent, 5-1), Miami Florida Christian (Independent, 1-6), Miami Gardens Monsignor Pace (2M, 4-3), Miami Gulliver Prep (2M, 5-2), Miami High (4M, 3-3), Miami Immaculata LaSalle (2M, 3-3), Miami Jackson (2M, 1-5), Miami Killian (2M, 0-6), Miami Northwestern (2M, 2-5), Miami Ransom Everglades, (Independent, 6-0), Miami Lakes Barbara Goleman (4M, 3-2), Miami Palmer Trinity (1M, 5-1), Miami Somerset Silver Palms (2M, 2-4), Miami Springs (2M, 5-2), Miami St. Brendan (2M, 5-2), Miami Varela, Independent, 4-2), Miami Westminster Christian (1M, 3-4), Miramar (3M, 3-3), Miramar Everglades (3M, 4-2), North Lauderdale Somerset Prep (Independent, 3-3), North Miami (3M, 2-5), North Miami Mourning (Independent, 3-2), North Miami Beach (2M, 1-6), Oakland Park Northeast (2M, 1-6), Parkland Douglas (1-5, 4M), Pembroke Pines Charter (3M, 4-2), Pembroke Pines Flanagan (4M, 1-4-1), Pembroke Pines Somerset Academy (4M, 0-7), Pompano Beach (Independent, 1-5), Somerset Academy South Homestead (Independent, 3-4), Somerset Silver Palms (2M, 2-3), South Miami (2M, 1-4), South Plantation (3M, 3-2), Southwest Miami (3M, 1-6), Southwest Ranches Archbishop McCarthy (Independent, 6-0), Sunrise Piper (3M, 3-3), Westland Hialeah (2M, 0-5).
TRACKING WEEKLY RANKINGS:
Transfer Season Heats Up In Miami-Dade & Broward. https://larryblustein.com/news/transfer-season-heats-up-in-miami-dade-broward